Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Fall 2013 Intermediate Modeling

I was very curious to take the intermediate 3D modeling class and see how far I can push it in this class. I actually found it quite fun to take and actually learned a lot new tricks thanks to instructor Tom Austin, and a few classmates like Tony McKee, Michael Wu and Jared Mills.

There were only two assignments in this class because of how much time is required to complete for each. My first assignment in the class was to my own head. To start, I needed to photograph orthographic views of myself for reference.


The next step was to determine the rhythms of my facial features to help shape up the planes on Maya.



This was the first pass of the model.


After almost two months of critiques, smoothing out planes and cleaning up vertices, the model was ready for texturing. I needed to rephotograph myself multiple times and under better lighting. From the photographs I composed a single texture map on Photoshop.


Add that texture to the model, cleanup the shape more and BAM:





The next assignment was to choose either from Hercules or Megara from the Disney film or create a custom medieval knight. Because of the complex detail Megara required and because not too many students in the class chose Megara, I wanted to challenge myself and see if I can complete a 3D Megara model. We were given a model sheet to work off from, and after another two months this is how I did: 










No comments:

Post a Comment